As more and more Americans continue to receive the vaccine for COVID-19, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Despite this, the virus will not be going away any time soon. Health and safety will continue to be a major priority, especially in shared spaces such as apartment buildings and condos. Multifamily housing owners and property managers should continue working with staff, residents, and public health officials to provide safe and sanitized living environments. Here are a few guiding principles to keep in mind as suggested by the CDC.
- Enforce masks to be worn in shared spaces. Reminders should be shared with residents and staff through the form of building signage and other communications such as email and social media. Wearing a mask has been proven to stop the spread of COVID-19.
- Keep shared spaces safe including providing hand sanitizer in all common areas and keeping extra disposable masks for those who forget theirs. It’s important that everyone’s hands stay clean and faces stay covered to help prevent the spread of germs. Social distancing and physical barriers should also be enforced in common areas to prevent overcrowding.
- Encourage individuals who feel sick to stay home. This includes both residents and staff. Consider enforcing daily temperature checks for all staff members to ensure they’re showing up healthy on the job.
- Disinfect common areas frequently. Property staff should disinfect common areas and shared spaces multiple times per day with the proper materials and equipment. This will keep residents safer when passing through and sitting down in common rooms.
- Provide adequate ventilation. There are many steps that can be taken to improve ventilation and the way air circulates throughout your properties. Some of those steps can include increasing airflow, the use of fans, and considering increasing air filtration throughout the building. More details can be found on the CDC website.
If keeping up with the CDC’s recommended safety guidelines seems like a full-time job, that’s because it very well can be. When you’re looking for the right leader to keep your property as safe from COVID-19 as possible, we can help identify top talent that can be trusted with the job.
Reach out to the team.